How to pick the perfect light bulbs for your house
To help you choose the right light bulbs, we’ve written a quick guide detailing the most important considerations.
- Think about function
Before you decide on the light bulbs themselves, you need to decide how you want them to function. Generally, there are three categories:
- General: illuminates the whole room, producing an effect similar to natural light
- Task: lights up a certain area for a specific purpose
- Accent: essentially creates shadowing around a feature object to achieve a dramatic effect
You can layer these functions across a room, so you should decide where you want the lighting to go by paying attention to the current layout.
- Choose the correct bulbs
Different light bulbs perform in different ways, so you’ll need to select the right type to meet your requirements. The four most common light bulbs are:
- Incandescent: traditional bulbs which produce a warm glow. After decades of use they are being phased out in favour of more efficient alternatives
- Compact Florescent Bulbs (CFLs): these last longer than incandescent bulbs while using up to 75% less energy. The light might feel a bit cooler, but they’re now available in a range of brightness levels.
- LEDs: equally as efficient as CFLs, but able to burn for up to three times as long. Formally used predominantly for task lighting due to their strong, direct light, the technology has improved considerably to make them look more like traditional bulbs
- Halogen: produces a white light similar to daylight – often perfect for task lighting
- Select your fixtures
You’ll now need to pick the fixtures that will complement your bulbs. The following are some typical fixtures and how they should be used:
- Ceiling mounted: the most common fixture for general lighting
- Chandeliers: also popular for general lighting, but best used in dining rooms or bedrooms
- Wall-mounted/recessed: can be used for general, task or accent lighting, depending on where and how you use them
- Pendant: hung with shades from the ceiling, providing general lighting without the glare
- Track: a set of fixtures running along a track that can normally be turned in new directions as you please. Perfect for both accent and general lighting
- Table lamps: great for task lighting, although several around one room can produce an accenting effect
Here at Easy Light Bulbs, we supply a range of bulbs to fit with any purpose. Just browse our online shop, or contact a team member today.
- Lampco Staff